About this artwork
Incorporating 10 slender legs and the stark white palette that so shocked Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s modern Viennese counterparts, this table is one of only two of this design produced. This table was made for the exhibition Architecture and Craft of the New Style, held in Moscow in 1903. International exhibitions were crucial to the promotion and dissemination of ideas among modern designers in the United Kingdom and continental Europe. The other table, now lost, was made for the music room of Fritz Waerndorfer, the patron and cofounder (along with Josef Hoffmann and Koloman Moser) of the Wiener Werkstätte.
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh (Designer)
- Painted and white wood and clear and opaque leaded-glass insets
- 61 × 92 × 50.2 cm (24 × 36 1/4 × 19 3/4 in.)
- Richard T. Crane, Jr. and Edward E. Ayer endowments