Athenian cemeteries housed a variety of monuments and offerings to the dead. This terracotta vessel, called a lekythos, is one example that held oil. From the middle until the end of the fifth century B.C., they were usually decorated in a distinctive technique known as white ground, so called after the light slip coating on the body and shoulder of the vase. Atop this, figures were usually drawn in outline and then painted in rich colors, many of which have since faded. Since most of these bottles were made for burial with the dead or to be left at their graves, the scenes on their surfaces typically represent tombs, visitors to tombs, and farewell scenes.
Here two men, perhaps father and son, bid one another farewell. On the left, the young man departs, spear in hand, but he looks back toward an older man with a walking stick, who watches him go. The latter man’s hair and beard are white. He wears a russet-colored mantle that appears sheer, clearly revealing the contours of his body underneath.
30.8 × 9.8 cm (12 1/8 × 3 7/8 in.); Diam.: 9.8 cm (3 7/8 in.)
Gift of Martin A. Ryerson through The Antiquarian Society
IIIF Manifest The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) represents a set of open standards that enables rich access to digital media from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions around the world.
Burlington Fine Arts Club, Catalogue of objects of Greek ceramic art: exhibited in 1888 (London, 1888), pl. 13, no. 56.
Wilhelm Fröhner, Collection van Branteghem: Vases peints et terre cuites antiques (Paris, 1892), no. 181.
Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago 1, 1 (1907), pp. 12-13.
John H. Oakley, The Achilles Painter (Mainz: Von Zabern, 1997), 150 no. 268, pl. 138 c-d.
John D. Beazley, Attic Red-Figure Vase Painters, volume II (Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1963), p. 1000, no. 199.
John Griffiths Pedley, Ancient Art at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies, vol. 20, no. 1 (1994), pp. 43, 45, 47 (iil), no. 28.
Olga E. Tzachou-Alexandri, Leukes Likythoi tou Zoographou tou Achilleos sto Ethniko Archaiologiko Mouseio (Athens, 1998), p. 77, fig. 14.
Karen B. Alexander, “From Plaster to Stone: Ancient Art at the Art Institute of Chicago,” in Karen Manchester, Recasting the Past: Collecting and Presenting Antiquities at the Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago; New Haven: Yale University Press, 2012), pp. 22, 38.
Art Institute of Chicago, Ancient Art Galleries, Gallery 155, April 20, 1994 - February 6, 2012.
Art Institute of Chicago, Of Gods and Glamour: The Mary and Michael Jaharis Galleries of Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Art, Gallery 151, November 11, 2012 - present.
Alphonse van Branteghem, Brussels, by 1890; sold, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, May 30-June 1, 1892, lot 181, to Martin A. Ryerson (1856-1932), Chicago; given to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1907.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.