About this artwork
The deck of fifty so-called Tarocchi are not tarots in the modern, fortune-telling sense, nor were they intended as playing cards. No cut-out impressions mounted for play are known, and they lack the suits and numbers of a regular deck. Instead, these delicately engraved didactic allegories are grouped in five numbered ranks describing the workings of the spheres of man, the muses, the liberal arts, the cosmos, and the heavens in order of increasing significance, and offer a didactic sequence to educate courtly youths or possibly university students, who could have used them as flashcards or a pamphlet.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Master of the E-Series Tarocchi
- Clio, plate nineteen from Apollo and the Muses
- Italy (Artist's nationality)
- Engraving on paper
- 18.1 × 10 cm (7 3/16 × 3 15/16 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.