About this artwork
This delicate work, designed and engraved by an unknown artist, is from a series of 50 prints erroneously thought to be Tarocchi, a deck of tarot cards. The allegorical figures illustrate the breadth of human knowledge and ability: liberal arts and sciences, cardinal and spiritual virtues, and cosmic powers. Here, Justice is depicted with sword, scales, and a crane holding a rock—the symbol of vigilance. Medieval texts state that crane sentinels are given stones to verify their careful watch for danger. If they fall asleep and the stone drops, they have neglected their duty. Here, Justice is never sleeping and always vigilant.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Master of the E-Series Tarocchi
- Justice, plate 37 from Genii and Virtues
- Italy (Artist's nationality)
- Engraving in black on tan laid paper
- 17.8 × 9.9 cm (7 1/16 × 3 15/16 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.