About this artwork
Among the most perplexing early prints produced in Italy are the 50 engraved tarocchi (tarot) cards created in Ferrara in the mid-15th century. Although the prints are the shape and size of playing cards, they do not form a full tarot deck, and it is not known if they were really intended for use. The complete Tarocchi series is divided into five thematic groups: Ranks and Conditions of Man; Apollo and the Muses; Liberal Arts; Geniuses and Virtues; and Firmaments of the Universe.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Master of the E-Series Tarocchi
- The Servant, plate two from The Ranks and Conditions of Men
- Italy (Artist's nationality)
- Engraving on ivory laid paper
- Plate: 17.9 × 10.1 cm (7 1/16 × 4 in.); Sheet: 18.2 × 10.4 cm (7 3/16 × 4 1/8 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.