About this artwork
These lamps were made to burn oil. The brass collars allowed wicks and glass shades to be screwed tightly to the tops. The shades fit over the wicks and aided in illuminating a room by diffusing the light of the flame.
- On View, Gallery 172
- Arts of the Americas
- Union Flint Glass Co.
- Pair of Lamps
- Philadelphia (Artist's nationality)
- c. 1835–1840
- Each: 26.7 × 10.8 cm (10 1/2 × 4 1/4 in.)
- Through prior acquisitions of the Corning Museum of Glass and Elizabeth R. Vaughan