About this artwork
Jean Baptiste Perronneau was one of the most unique portraitists in oil or pastel of the eighteenth century. He worked throughout Europe and Russia, but died a pauper in Holland. One of his most compelling early works is this pastel portrait. In this animated expression of youth, Perronneau used green shading to attain a naturalistic, lively face.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jean-Baptiste Perronneau
- Portrait of a Young Boy with Blue Eyes
- France (Artist's nationality)
- Pastel on blue laid paper, laid down on fabric, stretched on a wooden stretcher
- Signed lower right, in black chalk: "Perronneau"; inscribed on the back of frame, in a contemporary hand: "Ce pastel a été fixé par Loriot"
- 45.2 × 37.4 cm (17 13/16 × 14 3/4 in.)
- The Regenstein Collection