About this artwork
Working for almost 70 years, Irving Penn produced groundbreaking images that blurred the boundaries between advertising and art. By the early 1950s, he had established a successful career as an editorial photographer at Vogue magazine and began taking on freelance advertising assignments, creating innovative photographs that stood out for their striking simplicity and unexpected details. This advertising image for L’Oréal cosmetics likens a model’s lips to a painter’s palette—offering an enticing twist on conventional representations of beauty.
- Currently Off View
- Photography and Media
- Irving Penn
- Mouth (for L'Oréal), New York
- United States (Artist's nationality)
- Made 1986
- Dye imbibition print
- of 28
- Inscribed verso: REF. 16815 ; inscribed verso, .. ; inscribed verso: MOUTH / (NEW YORK, 1986) [in a box] ; stamped and inscribed verso: PHOTOGRAPH BY IRVING PENN / Copyright © 1986 by / THE CONDE NAST PUBLICATIONS INC. / not to be reproduced without / written permission of the copyright owner. ; stamped and inscribed verso: DYE TRANSFER PRINT MADE 1992. ; stamped and inscribed verso, SIGNED, DYE TRANSFER PRINTS OF / THIS IMAGE NOT EXCEEDING 28. / IP; signed and stamped verso: Irving Penn / IRVING PENN [in a circle].
- Image: 47.5 × 46.7 cm (18 3/4 × 18 7/16 in.); Paper: 57.8 × 49.4 cm (22 13/16 × 19 1/2 in.)
- Gift of Irving Penn
- Copyright The Irving Penn Foundation