Probably Dr. Simons, Leiden, by 1763; sold Leyden, Pieter van der Eyk, 29 April 1763, no. 18, “Een Wonder schoon Kunststuk met drie graazende Koeyen in een fraay Landscape uitvoerig en aangenaam geschilderd door den beroemden Paulus Potter 16 x 17 duimen” [according to a note by the Leiden collector Van der Marck in a copy of the Caauw sale catalogue in the Bibliothèque nationale de France, Paris; see Bille, vol. 2, p. 112]. Probably Frans van Mieris the Younger, Leiden, by 1764; sold Leiden, Pieter van der Eyk, 7 May, 1764, no. 82, with the same description as in the preceding sale catalogue, but with dimensions given as 16 ½ x 14 ? duimen, for 570 guilders to Caauw [according to an annotated sale catalogue in the R.K.D., The Hague, and the annotated copy of the Caauw sale catalogue cited above]. Probably Pieter Caauw; his sale Leiden, Luchtmans, August 24, 1768, no. 1, “Een leggende en twee staande koeijen”, 16 ? x 14 ½ d., on panel, sold for 670 guilders to Jan Matthias Kok, Amsterdam [annotated sale catalogues in the R.K.D. and the Bibliotheque nationale de France]. Gerret Braamcamp, Amsterdam (died 1771); sold Amsterdam, Van der Schley et al., 31 July, 1771, no. 169, to Yver for 2,070 guilders. Pieter de Smeth van Alphen, Amsterdam (died 1810); offered for sale Amsterdam, Van der Schley et al., 1-2 August 1810, no. 75, bid of 3,600 guilders by de Vries, but bought in [see Priem 1997, p. 136]; offered again in the sale of the collection of Henry Croese, Amsterdam, Van der Schley et al., 18 September, 1811, no. 67 to J. Smit for 2,400 guilders [annotated sale catalogue in the Frick Art Reference Library and Priem 1997]. Anna Maria Hogguer-Ebeling, Amsterdam (died 1812); to her husband, Paul Iwan Hogguer, Amsterdam (died 1816); sold, Amsterdam, Van der Schley et al., 18 August, 1817, no. 67 to Antoine Jolli as agent for William Buchanan for 7,925 guilders [annotated sale catalogue in Ryerson library and Buchanan 1824]; sold by William Buchanan, London, to George Watson Taylor, London and Erlestoke Park, near Devizes, Wiltshire; offered for sale, Christie’s, London, June 13-14, 1823, no. 58 of second day, but repurchased at 1,210 gns.; sold George Robins, Erlestoke Park, Wiltshire, 9 July-1 August 1832, no. 75 to C. J. Niewenhuys [according to Smith 1834]; his sale, Christie’s, London, 10 May 1833, no. 70, to Walmesley for 1,155 gns. [according to Hofstede de Groot 1912; Smith 1834 stated that it was bought in for 1,105 gns]. John Walter, Bearwood, near Wokenham, by 1834 [according to Smith 1834]; by descent to John Walter, until 1942; sold, Sotheby’s, London, 10 June, 1942, no. 49, to Duits for £3,500 [according to Sotheby’s catalogue of the Fattorini sale]. John Enrico Fattorini, Bradford, by 1945 (died 1949) [lent to London 1945]; by descent to his son E.W. Fattorini, Bradford (died 1992); sold by his heirs, Sotheby’s, London, 3 July, 1996, no. 11, to Otto Naumann, Ltd, New York; sold by Otto Naumann, Ltd to the Art Institute, 1997.