Black and red chalk, with stumping, with touches of white lead (partially discolored) (recto) and black chalk, with touches of red chalk (verso), on cream laid paper prepared with pale brown wash
Inscribed recto, upper left, in graphite: "Goltzius f"; upper right, in graphite: "380"; verso, upper center, in pen and brown ink, by a modern hand: "Heinr. Goltzius, Mühlbracht i. Julich geb. 1558/ starb zu Harlem 1617./ “Andromeda”? Tusche u. Rottstein/ etwas fleckig"; along lower edge, in pen and brown ink, in graphite, in same hand: "1864 aus"; in brown ink: "J. A. Börners Sammlung"; lower right, in graphite: "9718"
194 × 155 mm
Restricted gift of Anne Searle Bent
Extended information about this artwork
Leo Planiscig and Hermann Voss, Drawings of Old Masters from the Collection of Dr. Benno Geiger (Zürich: Amalthea Publishing Office, 1925), p. 14, pl. 39, (as Francesco Furini).
E.J.K. Reznicek, Die Zeichnungen von Hendrick Goltzius (Utrecht: Hantjens Dekker & Gumbert, 1961), vol. 1, p. 458, no. 445; vol. 2, pls. 377 and 378.
C.G. Boerner, Düsseldorf, Stock Catalogue 97, Acquisitions 1990–1991: “Five Hundred Years of Prints and Drawings, Part Two: Drawings,” (1991), pp. 13–14, no. 120, and 19 (ill.).
Artemis S.A., Luxembourg, Artemis 96–97: Consolidated Audited Annual Report, Annual General Meeting (Jan. 1998), p. 14, no. 4 (ill.).
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Rubens, Rembrandt, and Drawing in the Golden Age”, September 28, 2019 - January 5, 2020, pp. 137, 140 (ill.), 299-300, 331 (ill.), cat. 42, cat. by Victoria Sancho Lobis, et. al.
Johann Andreas Boerner (1785–1862), Leipzig; sold, Rudolf Weigel, Leipzig, Nov. 28, 1864, lot 97, as Andromeda on the Rock. Dr. Benno Geiger (1882–1965), Vienna, by 1925 [Planiczig and Voss 1925]. W. Unna [Boerner 1991]. Jacob (Jaap) Hendrick Wiegersma (1898–1967), Utrecht [stamp (Lugt 1552b), verso lower left, in red]. Anton Schmid (born 1904), Vienna, by 1961 [stamp (Lugt 2330b) verso, upper right, in black; Reznicek 1961]; probably placed on consignment with Arnoldi-Livie, Munich [letter from Susan Lewis Kaye of Boerner dated May 2, 1997 in curatorial file]; sold to C. G. Boerner, Oct. 1989 [Susan Lewis Kay letter noted above]; sold to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1997.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.