About this artwork
Master E. S., perhaps the most significant Northern printmaker working prior to Martin Schongauer, popularized this type of ornamental motif, which was widely used as a decorative model for later artists. This particular image depicts five naked women entangled in a mass of vines and leaves, fighting over undergarments to cover their exposed bodies. The comical subject reflects a sort of grotesque humor often found in engravings by Master E. S., especially his Fantastic Alphabet.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Master E.S.
- Ornament with Women Fighting
- Germany (Artist's nationality)
- Engraving on cream laid paper
- Sheet trimmed within platemark: 9.5 × 13.6 cm (3 3/4 × 5 3/8 in.)
- Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Ryerson Collection