About this artwork
Evocative of a blustery spring day, this drawing by landscape specialist Everdingen includes a church with cloisters in the left background, a tower by the water’s edge at center, several boats navigating choppy water, and a group of figures looking into the composition instead of out toward the viewer. Everdingen is known to have created several series describing the months of the year, and a number 4 on the verso of this drawing suggests that it may have belonged to such a series, likely representing the month of April.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Allart van Everdingen
- Landscape with Elegant Figures by a River, with Boats to the Right and a Town Behind Trees Beyond
- Netherlands (Artist's nationality)
- Brush and gray wash, with touches of white wash, over touches of charcoal, ruled in pen and brown ink, on ivory laid paper
- Signed recto, lower left, in gray wash: "AVE"; inscribed verso, in brown ink: "4"
- 14.7 × 19.4 cm (5 13/16 × 7 11/16 in.)
- Gift of Dorothy Braude Edinburg to the Harry B. and Bessie K. Braude Memorial Collection