Chicago, Museum of Contemporary Art, “German and Austrian Expressionism: Art in a Turbulent Era,” Mar. 10–Apr. 30, 1978, p. 27.
Munich, Haus der Kunst, “Max Beckmann—Retrospective,” Feb. 25–Apr. 23, 1984, p. 352–53, cat. 173 (ill.); also Nationalgalerie, Berlin, May 18–July 29, 1984, the Saint Louis Art Museum, Sept. 7–Nov. 4, 1984, and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Dec. 9, 1984–Feb. 3, 1985.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Great Drawings from The Art Institute of Chicago: The Harold Joachim Years 1958–1983,” July 24–Sept. 30, 1985, pp. 190–91, cat. 88 (ill.).
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Collecting for Chicago: Prints, Drawings, and Patronage,” June 14–Sept. 14, 2008.
The artist, from 1928 [in numerous exhibitions between 1929 and 1932, including at Galerie Alfred Flechtheim, Berlin; Guenther Franke, Graphisches Kabinett, Munich; the Basel and Zurich museums; and Akademie der Kuenst Berlin in 1929, 1930, 1931 and 1932; for the Basel 1930 exhibition, the work was loaned via the Graphisches Kabinett in Munich, Basel Staatsarchiv]. Guenther Franke, Graphisches Kabinett , Munich, by 1946 [1946 pamphlet, Beckmann Foundation, BSTGS, Munich]. Sold by Allan Frumkin, Chicago, to Mr. and Mrs. Stanley M. Freehling, Chicago [interview with Freehling on June 8, 2018, notes in curatorial object file]; given as a partial gift to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1964; given in full to the Art Institute of Chicago, 2008.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.