Avogadro family, Brescia, by 1760, inventory after 1760, no. 82 [according to Chizzola and Carboni 1760, p. 179; and MS inventory, L.II.6 m.3, in the Biblioteca Queriniana, Brescia]; by descent to the Fenaroli family, Brescia, Palazzo Fenaroli-Avogadro, by 1820, [see catalogue of Fenaroli collection, 1820]; for relationship between the Avogadro and Fenaroli families, see Lechi, Fedrigolli, and Lechi 2010]; Bartolomeo Fenaroli (died 1869), Brescia, Palazzo Fenaroli-Avogadro, by 1869 [according to Lechi, Fedrigolli, and Lechi 2010, who cite the 1870 inventory of paintings owned by Bartolomeo made upon his death in 1869, l’Archivio Bettoni Cazzago, Brescia]; by descent to his son Gerolamo Fenaroli (died 1880), Brescia, Palazzo Fenaroli-Avogadro, from 1869 [according to Lechi, Fedrigolli, and Lechi 2010, who cite an inventory of paintings owned by Gerolamo made upon his death in 1880]; sold by his heirs in the auction of the Fenaroli collection, Brescia, April 16–19, 1882, either no. 3657 or no. 3661 [the auction catalogue is reproduced in Lechi, Fedrigolli, and Lechi 2010, pp. 66–71]. P. Scalvini Antiquario, Brescia, by 1898 [see da Ponte, 1898]. Thomas Humphry Ward, London [seller’s name given in an annotated copy of the 1904 sale catalogue at Christie’s, London referenced below]; sold Christie’s, London, May 14, 1904, no. 54, to Farrer for 100 gns [according to the annotated sale catalogued referenced above]; Sir William James Farrer (died 1911), Sandhurst Lodge, Wokingham, from 1904; sold Christie’s, London, March 23, 1912, no. 33, to Agnew for 200 gns [according to annotated copies of the sale catalogue at Christie’s, London]; sold by Agnew, London, to Charles Fairfax Murray, 1912 [information recorded in the ledger of Thomas Agnew and Sons, Ltd.]. F. Mason Perkins, Florence, by 1912 [according to a letter from F. Mason Perkins to T. J. Blakeslee dated December 5, 1912, in curatorial file]; sold by Perkins to T. J. Blakeslee (died 1914), New York, by February 23, 1914 [see letter cited above and Gombosi 1943, p. 111.]; sold to Vose Galleries, Boston, February 23, 1914 [according to Vose Galleries ledger, inventory no. 3611, Boston]; sold by Vose Galleries to William Owen Goodman, Chicago, February 5, 1917 [see letter from Robert C. Vose, Jr., to Margherita Andreotti dated May 12, 1988, in curatorial file; also Vose Galleries ledger cited above]; on loan to the Art Institute from 1928; given to the Art Institute, 1935.