About this artwork
Saint Francis appears here surrounded by symbols associated with his sainthood. The book, for example, speaks to his devotional studies, and the skull is a reminder of the inevitability of death. The painting prompts the viewer to meditate upon the saint in the same way that he prays before the sculpture of the crucified Jesus. At least a dozen other versions of this composition by El Greco exist, evidence of Francis’s tremendous popularity in Toledo, Spain, where the artist worked.
- Domenico Theotokópoulos, called El Greco
- Saint Francis Kneeling in Meditation
- Oil on canvas
- Inscribed lower right: Domenikos Theotocopulos (second line of text illegible)
- 92 × 74 cm (36 3/16 × 24 1/8 in. ); painted surface: 89.5 × 72 cm (35 1/4 × 28 3/8 in. )
- Robert A. Waller Memorial Fund