About this artwork
This impressive drawing relates to a series of lithographs—which Wood planned but never completed—representing all the seasons and months of the year. He made finished drawings depicting four of the months, and this is the only subject of which he also made a painting. Contrary to the usual evolution of a composition, he made the lithograph first, in 1937, then this drawing, in 1938, and finally the painting, in 1940.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Grant Wood
- United States (Artist's nationality)
- Charcoal, smudging and erasure, and white Conté crayon on tan paperboard
- Signed and dated lower left, in charcoal: "GRANT WOOD 1938"
- 52 × 68 cm (20 1/2 × 26 13/16 in.)
- Regenstein Acquisition Fund and Regenstein Foundation