About this artwork
One of the most popular products of May Morris’s embroidery division were kits, which contained fabric marked with a design and the recommended embroidery thread. These kits allowed amateur embroiderers to have the satisfaction of making a beautiful object with their own hands. John Henry Dearle’s original drawing for Peony is annotated on the back by May Morris, who suggested the most appropriate use for the panel as part of a room divider screen.
- John Henry Dearle (Designer) , Morris & Co. (Producer)
- England (Object made in), London (Object designed in), Great Britain (Object made in)
- Made 1905-1917 , Designed 1885-1890
- Cotton ground, silk threads
- 156.5 × 66.4 cm (61 5/8 × 26 1/8 in.)
- Gift of Crab Tree Farm Foundation