About this artwork
This collection of drawings, documents and building fragments documenting Adler and Sullivan’s Guaranty Building (1894-1896, Buffalo, NY) was gathered by John D. Randall (1919–1999), who served as building manager. Drawing from materials gathered after a 1955 “modernization” project and a 1974 fire, Randall opened the Louis Sullivan Architecture Museum in 1974. Randall, a Chicago-born architect and author, was a key leader in the successful preservation efforts to save the Guaranty and Sullivan’s Wainwright Building of St. Louis. The Guaranty Building was since been restored.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- Adler & Sullivan, Architects (Architect)
- Guaranty Building Collection
- Made 1894–1990
- Correspondence, architectural drawings, black and white photographs, printed papers and realia.
- 8 oversize portfolios, 6 rolled tubes, flatfile materials and oversize building fragments: H.: 914.4 cm (360 in.)
- Gift of Protective Life Insurance Company