Partial gift of Abbot W. and Marcia L. Vose; through prior bequest of Arthur Rubloff; through prior gift of James D. Thornton, Mrs. Abram Poole, and Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge; through prior bequest of Celia Schmidt; Mr. and Mrs. Frank G. Logan Purchase Prize Fund; Mr. and Mrs. Frederick G. Wacker Endowment Fund
Extended information about this artwork
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Sixty-Fifth Annual Exhibition, Dec 23, 1895–Feb 22, 1896, no. 254, as At the River’s Bend.
Paris, Champs-de-Mars, Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, no. 992, April 25–[?], 1896, as Au bord de l’eau.
Boston, St. Botolph Club, An Exhibition of Paintings by Mrs. T. S. Perry, Nov 10–24, 1897, no. 18, as On the River II.
Boston, Guild of Boston Artists, An Exhibition of Paintings by Lilla Cabot Perry, Jan 10–22, 1927, no. 13, as On the River.
Boston, Boston Art Club, Memorial Exhibition of Paintings by Lilla Cabot Perry, Oct 26–Nov 18, 1933, no. 22, as On the River II.
Newport, RI, Art Association of Newport, Memorial Exhibition of Paintings by Lilla Cabot Perry, Sept 11–29, 1934, no. 13, as On the River, Giverny II.
Washington, DC, National Museum of Women in the Arts, Lilla Cabot Perry: An American Impressionist, Sept 28, 1990–Jan 20, 1991, no. 21, as At the River’s Head [Edith Perry] (On the River, II).
Boston, Vose Galleries, The Boston School Tradition: Truth, Beauty, and Timeless Craft, Jun 6–Aug 1, 2015.
Rockport, MA, Rockport Art Association and Museum, Strokes of Genius: Women in the Arts, Past and Present, Oct 10–Nov 14, 2015, illus. p. 11.
Boston, Vose Galleries, Cross Currents: The Colonies, Clubs, and Schools That Established Impressionism in America, Oct 29, 2016–Jan 28, 2017.
The artist, to 1933 [according to annotated exh. cat., Boston Art Club, Memorial Exhibition of Paintings by Lilla Cabot Perry, Oct 26–Nov 18, 1933, copy in Museum of Fine Arts Library, Boston]. Mrs. George H. L. Smith, Palmer, MA, by 1983; sold to Vose Galleries, Boston, October 17, 1983; sold to Abbot W. and Marcia L. Vose, Boston, June 11, 1984; sold/given to the Art Institute of Chicago, 2020.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.