About this artwork
Educated at Yale University, Edwin Hill Clark began practicing architecture in Chicago in 1906 in partnership with William Otis. Although a small firm, it produced a broad variety of projects: large estates in Chicago’s northern suburbs, libraries and city halls, animal habitats for the Lincoln Park Zoo, and several buildings for the 1933–1934 Century of Progress exposition in Chicago. The collection includes diaries, project photographs, and scrapbooks documenting Clark’s architectural and military careers.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- Edwin Hill Clark (Architect)
- Edwin H. Clark Collection
- Made 1885–1960
- Printed papers, scrapbooks and diaries, and black and white photographic prints.
- 1 oversize portfolio: H.: 61 cm (24 in.)
- Gift of Robert O. Clark, Jr. and Edwin H. Clark II, 1995; John Vinci, 2012.