About this artwork
Brothers N. Max Dunning (1874-1946) and Hugh Dunning (1883-1958) established their architectural practice in Chicago in the early 1910s. In partnership until 1933, they designed residential and commercial buildings, banks, hotels, schools, and Masonic temples. The collection includes travel diaries, professional papers, and project photographs.
View finding aid.
View selected images from this collection.
Find all Hugh Dunning digital images.
Find all N. Max Dunning digital images.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Finding aids by subject
Browse all finding aids
Browse images and media
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- M. Max Dunning (Architect)
- Hugh and N. Max Dunning Collection
- Made 1901–1994
- Printed papers, a scrapbook, architectural reprographic prints, and black and white photographic prints.
- Flatfile materials: H.: 38.1 cm (15 in.)
- Gift of Bruce Dunning, 1994; the Dunning Family, 1995; the Chicago Tribune, 2003.