About this artwork
Charles Frost (1856–1931) established a sixteen-year architectural partnership with Henry Ives Cobb in Chicago in 1882. The firm produced such notable buildings as the Union League Club and the Newberry Library, as well as several buildings for the University of Chicago. In a subsequent partnership with Alfred H. Granger, Frost was well known for designing railway stations in the Chicago region. This single volume letterpress copybook contains Frost’s copies of bills for services rendered, contract prices, cost breakdowns for contractors’ bids, and other financial matters between 1922 and 1930. At this late period in his life, Frost’s work was mainly the remodeling of buildings which he had designed earlier in his career.
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.
Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
- Currently Off View
- AIC Archives
- Charles Sumner Frost (Architect)
- Charles S. Frost Letterpress Copybook
- Made 1922–1930
- Bound letterpress work of carbon typescript papers and manuscripts.
- H.: 7.7 cm (3 in.)
- Gift of the Wilmette Historical Museum, 1979.