Skip to Content
Today Open today 11–8

Historic Architecture and Landscape Image Collection

A work made of mounted black and white, toned, and color photographic prints; black and white, hand-colored, mechanically-colored, and toned glass lantern slides; black and white photographic negatives; black and white and color  photomechanical prints; and black and white and color photolithographed postcards..

Image actions

  • A work made of mounted black and white, toned, and color photographic prints; black and white, hand-colored, mechanically-colored, and toned glass lantern slides; black and white photographic negatives; black and white and color  photomechanical prints; and black and white and color photolithographed postcards..

Date:

c.1865-1973 (bulk 1890-1945)

Artist:

Chicago Plan Commission
Daniel Hudson Burnham (1846-1912)
Edward Herbert Bennett (1874-1954)

About this artwork

Consisting of approximately 15,000 images that document the architecture, landscape and urban planning of sites across the United States—with a particular emphasis on Chicago and its suburbs—and, to a lesser extent, internationally, The Historic Architecture and Landscape Image collection, or HALIC, contains mounted photographic prints, lantern slides (both black and white and hand-colored), and postcards dating from the 1860s to the 1970s. These materials supplement, extend, and support the architectural groupings described above, with particular focus on the work of the first Chicago School, the Prairie School, and Beaux-Arts urban planning activities inspired by Daniel Burnham and Edward Bennett. This collection will be added to on a periodic basis. Of particular note is a large body of lantern slides that was gathered by the Chicago Plan Commission, representing the international influences of Chicago’s urban planning ideals during the 1910s and 1920s. HALIC also contains a significant number of pre-Civil War, vernacular, and anonymous buildings, as well as images from many of the expositions and world’s fairs that took place around the turn of the 20th-century, most notably the World’s Columbian Exposition (1893), and the Century of Progress Exhibition (1933–1934), both in Chicago.

The lantern slides represent the work of numerous photographers and slide-makers, including George W. Bond and Company, Chicago Transparency Company, Curtis and Miller, the Detroit Photographic Company/Detroit Publishing Company, the Historic American Buildings Survey, Frances Benjamin Johnston, Alvina Lenke Studios, T.H. McAllister, A.G. McGregor, L. Manasse, Grace Nichols, Underwood and Underwood, and Edward Van Altena.

The mounted photographs come from many sources, but most were taken by professional architectural photographers. Included are large groups of photographs by the Chicago Aerial Photography Company (active about 1920–1940), the Detroit Photographic Company/Detroit Publishing Company (active 1898–1924), Henry Fuermann and Sons (Frank Lloyd Wright’s preferred photographers), Albert Levy (active 1890s), and J.W. Taylor (active 1885–1910).

View finding aid.
Browse this collection.

Collection access:
Collections may be accessed in the Franke Reading Room of the Research Center at The Art Institute of Chicago, by appointment only. For further information, consult the FAQ.

Finding aids by subject
Browse all finding aids
Browse images and media
Oral histories

Contact the Ryerson and Burnham Art and Architecture Archives:
(312) 857-7676
archives@artic.edu

Status

Currently Off View

Department

AIC Archives

Artist

Chicago Plan Commission (Collected by)

Title

Historic Architecture and Landscape Image Collection

Date

Made 1865–1973

Medium

Mounted black and white, toned, and color photographic prints; black and white, hand-colored, mechanically-colored, and toned glass lantern slides; black and white photographic negatives; black and white and color photomechanical prints; and black and white and color photolithographed postcards.

Dimensions

c.15,000 images

Credit Line

The bulk of this collection was acquired through donation, lending, purchase, and duplication by the Ryerson and Burnham Libraries between the 1890s and 1973. Individual acquisition information for this portion of the collection is recorded in bound ledgers held by the Ryerson and Burnham Archives; this ledger information, as well as acqusition sources for all items acccessioned since 1973, is included in the electronic database for this collection.

Reference Number

00.20

Extended information about this artwork

Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.

Share

Sign up for our enewsletter to receive updates.

Learn more

Image actions

Share