About this artwork
The composition of this drawing is identical with that of the elegant portrait that Fantin-Latour made of Manet in 1867, also in the Art Institute. The controlled and very finished appearance of this work is characteristic of the drawings Fantin-Latour made after paintings for reproduction in the illustrated press. Indeed, it was drawn as a souvenir of the painting to accompany an article devoted to Manet at the time of the exhibition of his paintings and pastels at the galleries of La Vie Moderne.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Henri Fantin-Latour
- Portrait of Édouard Manet
- France (Artist's nationality)
- Black crayon, with touches of charcoal, on cream wove paper
- Signed recto, lower left: "A mon ami Manet, Fantin"; inscribed recto, lower right: "A. Aristide Albert, son serviteur fidèle Léon Leenhoff"
- 39.9 × 31.1 cm (15 3/4 × 12 1/4 in.)
- Clarence Buckingham Collection