About this artwork
This drawing relates to a stained-glass roundel by Dirk Vellert that survives today in Brussels. Since the subject belongs to a larger series of triumphs made popular by 14th-century poet Petrarch, it is likely that the drawing was also one of a series, which included not only the Triumph of Time, but also the Triumphs of Love, Fame, Death, and Chastity. Here Time is represented by the figure of an older man with crutches, who is crowned by an hourglass.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Style of Dirk Vellert
- The Triumph of Time (recto); Sketch of a Stag (verso)
- Netherlands (Artist's nationality)
- Pen and brown ink, over traces of black chalk, on cream laid paper
- Inscribed verso, center, in graphite: "20"
- 22.4 × 22.6 cm (8 7/8 × 8 15/16 in.)
- Gift of Mrs. Potter Palmer