Adler & Sullivan (American, 1883-1896) Louis H. Sullivan (American, 1856-1924)
Executed by Healy and Millet
About this artwork
The Chicago Stock Exchange building was one of Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan’s most distinctive commercial projects. The centerpiece of this 13-story structure was the trading room—a dramatic, double-height space filled with Sullivan’s lush ornament and the multicolored, stenciled wall covering seen here. After an unsuccessful preservation battle in the late 1960s, the building was demolished, but the Art Institute was able to acquire the monumental entry arch, now located in a garden next to the Modern Wing.
Dates are not always precisely known, but the Art Institute strives to present this information as consistently and legibly as possible. Dates may be represented as a range that spans decades, centuries, dynasties, or periods and may include qualifiers such as c. (circa) or BCE.
The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) represents a set of open standards that enables rich access to digital media from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions around the world.
Vinci, John, ed. 1989. The Trading Room: Louis Sullivan and The Chicago Stock Exchange. Art Institute of Chicago, p. 36.
Art Institute of Chicago. 1990. Fragments of Chicago’s Past: The Collection of Architectural Fragments at The Art Institute of Chicago. Exh. cat. Art Institute of Chicago, cat. no. 68, p. 141.
Zukowsky, John, and Martha Thorne. 2004. Masterpieces of Chicago Architecture. Art Institute of Chicago/Rizzoli, pp. 44–45.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Past Forward: Architecture and Design Collection at the Art Institute,” September 12, 2017–Ongoing.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Apostles of Beauty: Arts and Crafts from Britain to Chicago,” 2009.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.