About this artwork
"This bedroom of a country house in Normandy represents the provincial interpretation of the style of Louis XV," wrote Mrs. Thorne. She intended this interior to show the way in which a growing middle class outside of Paris adapted some of the innovations in comfort and style characteristic of Louis XV’s reign for their relatively modest homes. A striving for beauty is demonstrated in the richly carved armoire against the left wall and in the sprigged wallpaper supplementing the paneling of the back wall.
- Mrs. James Ward Thorne (Designer)
- E-22: French Provincial Bedroom of the Louis XV Period, 18th Century
- United States
- Miniature room, mixed media
- Interior: 11 × 19 1/2 × 17 1/2 in. (27.9 × 49.5 × 44.5 cm) [Scale: 1 inch = 1 foot]
- Gift of Mrs. James Ward Thorne