About this artwork
An avenging angel, arriving on the heels of the militant Christ’s triumph over the wicked world, serves as a cleansing force. Revelation 19:17 describes the vision: “an angel standing in the sun … cried, with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that did fly through the midst of heaven: come gather yourselves together to the great supper of the Lord.” The bodies of the slain were devoured regardless of rank, and the “false prophet” was “cast alive into the pool of fire, burning with brimstone” (19:20).
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jean Duvet
- The Angel Calling the Birds
- Artist's working dates 1505–1561
- Engraving in black on ivory laid paper
- 292 × 207 mm (image/sheet, trimmed within platemark)
- Bequest of Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.