About this artwork
Agostino Carracci’s training as an engraver and his careful study of the human form are evident in the execution of this portrait of his son Antonio, both in the vigorous strokes of the background and in the structure of the face. Antonio was probably twelve or thirteen years old when his father made this portrait of him.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Agostino Carracci
- Portrait of the Artist's Son, Antonio Carracci
- Italy (Artist's nationality)
- Red chalk on cream laid paper, laid down on cream wove paper
- Inscribed recto, lower left, in pen and brown ink: "Ritrato di Antonio Caraggi da Agostino"; inscribed verso, lower left, in pen and brown ink (visible through mount): "Ritratto da Antonio Caracci, del. par Agostino"
- 36.1 × 25.6 cm (14 1/4 × 10 1/8 in.)
- Clarence Buckingham Collection