About this artwork
This etching is the framed print seen on the back wall of Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1, though its identification would only have been possible for those intimately familiar with Whistler’s printed oeuvre. It is believed that Whistler did indeed have a framed impression of this work installed in his house in London on Lindsey Row, where his mother sat for him. It therefore serves as a reference to the space itself, the artist’s studio, as well as his early acclaim in the field of printmaking.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- James McNeill Whistler
- Black Lion Wharf, from A Series of Sixteen Etchings of Scenes on the Thames (the "Thames Set")
- United States
- Etching with foul biting in black on off-white laid paper
- Signed and dated in plate, lower right, in image: "Whistler. 1859."
- 151 × 227 mm (plate); 216 × 333 mm (sheet)
- The Charles Deering Collection