Gift of the Antiquarian Society through the Jessie Spalding Landon Fund
IIIF Manifest The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) represents a set of open standards that enables rich access to digital media from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions around the world.
Wallace Nutting, Furniture Treasury (Framingham, Mass., Old America Company, 1928), no. 629.
Walter A. Dyer, “An Outline of American Furniture: Part XI,” Fine Arts 18, 6 (May 1932), 29 (ill.).
M.M. Swan, “The Goddard and Townsend Joiner, Part II,” Antiques 49, 5 (May 1946), 295 (ill.).
The Art Institute of Chicago Bulletin 43, 1 (Feb. 1949), ill.
The Antiquarian Society (1951), no. 30.
Meyric Rogers, “American Decorative Arts at the Art Institute of Chicago,” Antiques 74, 1 (July 1958), 53 (ill.).
Minor Myers, Jr., and Edgar de N. Mayhew, New London County Furniture 1640–1840 (Lyman Allyn Museum, 1974), cat. 58.
Milo M. Naeve, Classical Presence in American Art (Art Institute of Chicago, 1978), no. 20.
Milo M. Naeve, Identifying American Furniture (Nashville, American Association for State and Local History, 1981), 22 (ill. no. 32).
Milo M. Naeve, Identifying American Furniture, 2nd ed. (Nashville, American Association for State and Local History, 1989), no. 30 (ill. p. 10).
Robert F. Trent, “The Colchester School of Cabinetmaking, 1750–1800” American Craftsman and the European Tradition, 1620–1820 (Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 1989), 120.
Judith A. Barter et al., American Arts at The Art Institute of Chicago: From Colonial Times to World War I (Chicago: The Art Institute of Chicago, 1998), 104–105, no. 36.
Hartford, Wadsworth Atheneum, Connecticut Furniture: Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, Nov 3–Dec 17, 1967, cat. 119.
Art Institute of Chicago, The Antiquarian Society: The First One Hundred Years, Apr 23–Jun 19, 1977, cat. 137 (ill.).
General Ebenezer Huntington, Norwich, Conn., to 1834; by descent to an unidentified granddaughter, c. 1885; George Smith Palmer, New London, Conn., 1885; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1918; sold by them to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1948.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.