About this artwork
The figures in Aldegrever’s lively series of couples and musicians at a wedding show off daggers and swords as gentlemen’s fashion accessories rather than as weapons. As the couples pivot, pace, and embrace, blades peek out at different angles, whether impeding intimacy or visually alluding to increasing amorousness. Moving from left to right in triumphal procession, dancers sway to the tune of trombonists in their wake.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Heinrich Aldegrever
- Dancing Couple, plate four from The Large Wedding-Dancers
- Germany (Artist's nationality)
- Made 1538
- Engraving in black on ivory laid paper
- Image/plate/sheet: 11.7 × 7.8 cm (4 5/8 × 3 1/8 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.