About this artwork
Part of a long and honorable tradition (which dates back to the engravings of Albrecht Dürer) of depicting illustrious standard-bearers in full armor or fancy dress, this image by Hendrik Goltzius is notable for its elegance, virtuosity, and bravura. The inscription at the bottom of the engraving declares that when the standard-bearer advances, the troops advance; when he flees, they flee.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Hendrick Goltzius
- The Standard Bearer, Turned to Left
- Netherlands (Artist's nationality)
- Engraving in black on ivory laid paper
- Image: 27.3 × 19.1 cm (10 3/4 × 7 9/16 in.); Plate/sheet: 28.5 × 19.4 cm (11 1/4 × 7 11/16 in.)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.