About this artwork
This small, delicate drinking cup is undecorated except for the interior, depicting Artemis, goddess of the hunt, within the tondo, or circular field. A quiver on her back, she holds a bow and two arrows in her left hand, and in her right hand she extends a torch. An inscription added in dark red that runs from in front of her to behind her head states that one Hippodamas is handsome.
- On View, Gallery 152
- Arts of the Ancient Mediterranean and Byzantium
- Style of Douris (Painter)
- Kylix (Drinking Cup)
- Athens (Object made in)
- 480 BCE
- terracotta, red-figure
- Hippodamas Kalos "Hippodamas is handsome."
- 7.3 × 27 × 20.2 cm (2 7/8 × 10 5/8 × 8 in.)
- Gift of Martin A. Ryerson